There is plastic filling every corner of the earth, from the land we live on, to the seas we float on and swim in. Plastic is affecting our lives, our children’s lives, and the lives of the wildlife around us. “The world is facing a plastic pollution crisis that is increasingly threatening the future of our planet. An estimated 33 billion pounds of plastic enter the ocean every year - that's roughly the equivalent of dumping two garbage trucks full of plastic into the oceans every minute.” (‘TACKLING THE PLASTICS CRISIS AT THE SOURCE’ usa.oceana.org)
Plastic is especially affecting sea life, with so much of the plastic ending up in our oceans, the animals are in danger of losing their lives. At Tribe Azul, we feel for sea life. Whales help generate up to 85% of the oxygen we breathe. We want to spread the word and raise awareness to protect the animals who are protecting our entire planet. Plastic pollution represents one of the greatest threats to the health of our ocean - wreaking havoc on wildlife and ecosystems.
Our lives are all connected through the ocean, making sure it stays healthy is one way to keep the earth a happy and healthy place. Plastic production rates are rising, and the plastic industry is constantly relying on solutions like recycling. We are looking at a plastic-filled future.
Plastic is much more than a pollution issue. Plastic affects the average weather patterns at every step of its production. A plastic-free world would reduce greenhouse gas emissions and strengthen our climate as a whole. The companies surrounding us all should be informed of this plastic crisis.
Here at Tribe Azul, we believe we can all help reduce our plastic use. At Tribe Azul, we produce clothing that uses RPET - recycled polyester, which is made from recycled water bottles. Tribe Azul is committed to addressing the world’s single-use plastic crisis. Not only do we use 100% recyclable packaging, but by combining our Organic Cotton with the recycled polyester fabric, or rPET, (plastic bottles), we’re actively creating a circular economy. You can shop with peace of mind knowing that Tribe Azul meets all social and environmentally friendly practices.
Here are a couple of actions we can take every day to help solve this crisis:
- Buying grains and nuts in bulk to avoid small plastic bags
- Carrying our own utensils and avoiding usage of plastic utensils as much as possible
- Using reusable water bottles, coffee mugs, and bags(we offer a reusable bag here and a coffee mug here)
- Replacing plastic items at home with substitutions made from natural materials (bamboo toothbrushes, glass storage jars, wooden children’s toys)
- Saying no to single-use plastic straws, and plastic to-go containers from restaurants(we can bring our own)
- Recycling plastic in nature whenever we see it if possible
- We can bring up the plastic crisis with our friends, family, and co-workers
- Sharing our blog with them and showing them plastic documentaries can help spread awareness about this global problem, we recommend A Plastic Ocean on Netflix
- Melges, “Congress: Support the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act of 2021”
- Oceana, “TACKLING THE PLASTICS CRISIS AT THE SOURCE”
- Greenpeace, Preventing Plastic Pollution